Friday, July 31, 2015

Things I've learned six weeks into my trip

It's been six weeks since I left home near Seattle. I have learned a bit about camping in America in the summer and getting online.

First, there are a zillion people camping this summer and the campgrounds are full. The RV industry is thrilled about the huge numbers of RVs being sold. The problem is that all those new RVers want to use their RVs, and in the busy summer season there are not enough campsites in popular areas to squeeze everyone in.

Finding a campground or RV park on a Friday or Saturday night without reservations is hard especially in well-known National and State Parks, where it is next to impossible. It's much easier Sunday through Thursday, when the weekend crowds aren't around. On these days, look for campgrounds that are first-come, first-served. Those that take reservations will likely be booked.

If you don't have a reservation for a Friday or Saturday and it's already Thursday, then plan on staying somewhere off the beaten tourist path, away from the weekenders.

Before you head off to a campground or RV park, call to be sure there is space. If necessary, make a reservation. What did we ever do before cell phones?

MY "GO-TO" SOURCE of campground information has been RVparkReviews.com, although I am disappointed that its listings are far from comprehensive. I carry a Good Sam Directory, and it is helpful, but it misses a lot of public parks. And I don't trust its rankings: If a park buys an ad I strongly suspect it gets an extra star or two. It's probably a good idea to bring along the directory anyway. When doing research I have used CampgroundViews.com, which is a growing website that provides video sneak peeks of campgrounds. I also use our own site FreeCampgrounds.com to find low-cost options.

If you enjoy camping at KOA, then pick up one of its catalogs at the first KOA you find. There are nearly 500 KOAs around the country. If you stay at the parks often, buy one of its Value Kards to save on fees.

If you camp more than a couple of weeks a year at RV parks, you should join the Good Sam Club to get a 10 percent discount at most campgrounds. Your AAA or AARP card will work sometimes.

My basic Garmin nuvi 55LM GPS is essential for navigation but also for finding a place to stay. I simply instruct it to search for nearby campgrounds and it shows what's ahead. Often this is the easiest and fastest way to find a place.

I belong to PassportAmerica.com, which enables members to camp for half price at a couple thousand campgrounds across the USA. So far this trip, I have only been able to take advantage of the program once. Most times I have tried there have been no participating campgrounds near me or the ones that were there restricted the benefit to midweek or the off season. I'll probably find the card more useful after Labor Day.

I have not yet had to resort to staying in a Wal-Mart parking lot, but that's an option when nothing else is available. Most stores allows overnight stays in RVs. Some RVers report they stay at Cracker Barrel restaurants with no problems. Ditto Cabela's.

INTERNET ACCESS
You cannot count on the Wi-Fi at RV parks, even when it's advertised as available. About one-third of the time it does not work. Another third of the time it's so slow it's worthless. About one-third of time it works okay. In fairness to other campers, never use it to stream Netflix or even YouTube videos.

I need to be online for my work, so I must do more than just rely on occasional Wi-Fi at RV parks or public spots like McDonald's.

I get online most of the time via my iPhone using its Personal Hotspot function connecting via Bluetooth (it will work as a Wi-Fi hotspot, too). My plan allows me to use up to 15 gigabytes a month.  Learn about Verizon's plans and rates here.

I also carry an ATT Unite Pro 4G LTE Mobile WiFi Hotspot (see photo), which without a contract costs $199. Instead of a contract, when I am on the road I pay $25 a month for 2 gigabytes of use ($50 buys 5 gigabytes). I only use the card when I can't get on through Verizon or a Wi-Fi source. 

So far, Verizon has been the hands down most dependable way to get online, especially in the rural West where coverage is often spotty or weak. On this trip, I have randomly tested both Verizon and ATT to compare access and speed. So far, Verizon has worked about 90 per cent of the time and ATT about 70 percent.  The connection speeds have usually been about the same, but sometimes ATT is screaming fast and puts Verizon to shame. Other times, Verizon is faster.

My conclusion: If you need to be online when you travel, get Verizon. And if you really, really need to be on, like me, get the ATT card, too, for those times that Verizon and/or public Wi-Fi is either not available or too slow.


9 comments:

  1. Try Allstays Camp and RV app. We are full timers and use it 98% of the time to find a campground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We returned from a cross continent camping trip from Massachusetts to Alaska a couple of days ago. We traveled Rt. 2 the opposite direction from you. It's fun reading about your trip and seeing photos of some of the places we visited too. We left May 6th and many nights we were the only ones camping in some of the most beautiful places! Being a teacher, we never had the opportunity to travel off-season before. Retirement is the BEST!

    RV Parks is a great little app to find campsites that includes a map showing your location and how far you are from campgrounds. We are Good Sam members and agree you cannot count on their shingle as evidence of a good campground!

    My husband's pet peeve is people who camp at Walmart! He says, "If you can afford a $500,000 camper, you can afford to support campground owners." They rely on tourists for their living. In Whitehorse, we went to Walmart to stock up on some things and couldn't believe it. We counted 55 campers in the parking lot! Support the campgrounds where you are visiting, please! We stayed in wonderful private, county, city, provincial, state and national campgrounds across our beautiful country and Canada.

    If your readers haven't tried geocaching, it is a great way to see some off the beaten path places.

    Now I must get back to Shutterfly and our memory photo book of our wonderful 13,412 mile adventure crossing 17 states, 2 Canadian Provinces and 1 Canadian Territory!

    Happy trails and safe travels!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often tell that same story about the Wal-Mart in Whitehorse. We were through there a few years ago and as an rv'er who appreciates the odd night in Wal-Mart, it was quite embarrassing. (We did not stay there)

      Delete
  3. Georgiarambler.comAugust 1, 2015 at 5:55 AM

    Envy you your trip, this is something we wanted to do but by the time I retired from teaching college history, it was too late. Suddenly we were too old, at 78 and 81, and my husband,the pilot had lost some vision after a stroke.
    Not that we stay home, but aren't doing any road trips at the moment.
    Safe travels.
    I have started blogging about the places we HAVE been. You can check us out at
    Georgiarambler.com
    Best

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered about this. If you spent $500,000 on your camper, I can see why you can't afford an RV park. I don't know how you can afford FUEL!

    But that's just me on the bottomside of the RV world.

    We tow our $30,000 trailer with our 1997 Ford p/u. We boondock 90% of the time so we CAN travel. But I have to say, we've only 'camped' at a Walmart once, because it was next door to Les Schwab where we had an appointment the next morning.

    We've tried finding RV parks with apps a few times (in desperation) and many times when we finally get there, it's full up with folks who live there year round. "No room at the Inn", as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a FYI
    If you use the AT&T Go Phone / No contract/ only, they use there "owned" cell sites, not any cell towers they share for DATA..
    Example would be Death Valley, good signal , good voice but no data on a go phone (or Consumer Cellular type plans. With a monthly AT7T service Death Valley works fine.
    I full time but like to dry camp (in the west) which takes me way off the normal path and find that AT7T works better then Verizon. At Wasilla AK now and find I have better speeds then my son's Verizon.
    I use Satellite for my main I-net connection and work over it.
    Way too much money spent on internet, not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a strange Verizon experience this week in the Upper Peninsula. Both of our phones kept saying network not available. After stopping at a welcome center in Marquette they said we all have Verizon and it works fine. So we thought about that for a bit and then did a hard reboot or power down and both phones worked fine. So just like in the early days of PCs if all else fails reboot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm using AT&T because I've found Verizon and Sprint have spotty coverage here in the Southwest when you're away from metro areas or Interstates. I've gotten 4G coverage in places way off the beaten track.

    Also, I've learned that getting a reservation is essential, here along the SR14/US395 even as far north as Mono Lake. Forest Service campgrounds are always full, commercial are the same. With LA to the south, the SF Bay and Sacramento, Tahoe, Reno to the north, not surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have used Verizon for cell service forever and mobile internet for the last nine years. We've always been satisfied with the service but lately it seems their wifi isn't always as good. I'm wondering if it's because there are more and more subscribers downloading more and more data on the system. We spent the last week at the FMCA convention in Madison, WI. You would think Verizon wifi would be good; Madison is a fair-sized city and state capital. But most of the time internet service was so slow as to be unusable. I guess with 1,600 motor homes parked in one spot, there were just too many users.

    ReplyDelete