Thursday, July 9, 2015

In Plains, Montana: pig food at the market, an old RV and Amish people

I passed through Plains, Montana the other day. 

There isn't much to Plains which is along Montana route 200. Its population was 1,048 in 2010. It was originally founded as Horse Plains and sometimes called Wild Horse Plains, as the local Indians would winter their horses there to feed on the grasses.

So that's the history. I drove around a bit to see what I could find of interest. Here are three things:

You seldom see "Pig Food" advertised at your local supermarket, but in Plains it is. I did not stop because I do not have a pig to feed. I have never owned a pig. I have never seen people and pig food sold in the same market. So this was definitely worth a picture.


This old GMC motorhome I spotted on a side street has seen its day. I don't know anything about it except it's old and is not going anywhere, at least on its own. If you know anything about this RV, please leave a comment. My guess is that it was from the late '60s before the sleek GMC motorhomes were introduced, many of which are still on the road.


I didn't know there were Amish in this area. But I guess there are based on this sign on a county road leading out of Plains.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting... I have no clue about the MH although I do wonder about it. We have been to the MH Hall of Fame. Don't remember seeing one.... Pig Food? Well they do have to eat..... Ha ha ha

    Safe Travels....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised that a grocery store in farm country sells animal feed as well as human food. I spent my childhood in a remote part of Ohio. Grocery stores there often sell live fishing bait, tackle, hunting ammunition, and maybe small farm items. In rural places, people and businesses have to serve many purposes.

    I'm sure I never saw a motor home with that shape on its front before. It's a curiosity.

    I live one county away from the largest population of Amish in the world (Holmes County, Ohio). I knew they send out land-buying teams, but I hadn't realized they had significant populations that far away.

    ReplyDelete