Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Eating bugs. Wedded bliss. Hair curling from the past

Here are a few things I found interesting in the last couple of days.

EAT SOME BUGS
First, if you would like to dine on some grasshoppers and other insects, then you may wish to scoot over to Republic, Wash., for its July 4th Grasshopper Festival. Chef David George Gorden from Seattle will cook up some of the creatures for your dining pleasure. Gorden is the author of the book "The Eat A Bug Cookbook," so I'd assume he knows what he's doing. He will also demonstrate how to prepare bugs once you get back home. Festival promoters promise, "This will be something you will never forget the rest of your lives."

WEDDED BLISS
Henry and Donna Odean of Spokane have celebrated their 65th anniversary as reported in the Omak/Okonogan Chronicle. They celebrated with their family which included eight grandchildren and one great grandchild. How wonderful to be together with someone you love for such a long time.

I was married once. I think we were together for about 12 years. If I get married again I would be in my 130s before I'd celebrate my 65th anniversary. I'm pretty sure that will not happen even though my current plan is to not die.

MAJOR HAIR JOB
This woman is not being electrocuted for a terrible crime! Nope, she is just getting a perm on an old-fashioned electric curling machine. I found this photo in the Stevens County Historical Museum in Colville, Wash. Nobody gets a perm like this anymore. But if you had gone into a beauty shop maybe 60 years ago, this would have been how you would get your hair curled. Of course, if one of the hot metal curlers touched your scalp, "Ouch!"

By the way, the Colville Museum told me that taking pictures is not allowed, which is a totally stupid thing considering Colville is not exactly on everybody's travel path and anyone who wants to take a pic and maybe post it Facebook or even show their friends might drum up a little traffic. The volunteer ladies at the desk told me that the museum bigwigs were afraid crooks would come and steal all the valuable stuff. Maybe they think their museum is the Smithsonian, which the last time I visited let me take all the photos I wanted. Oh well, this is a small town and sometimes people in charge of things in these places are not the most marketing-savvy.

I took this photo anyway, and the cops didn't show up to toss me in the slammer. The museum is okay, but not that great, considering it costs $5 to get in.




1 comment:

  1. A blast from the past! I visited and enjoyed Colville many times between 1971 and 1992. It's a beautiful area, with the populace a little behind the times in some ways (but that's not always a bad thing). It's a part of Washington that many people don't know about. Thanks for highlighting the Washington outside the Seattle area.

    ReplyDelete