Friday, July 17, 2015

Finally, justice at the pump!

After seven years, there is justice for me at the gas pump. Or should I say the diesel pump?

I bought my Winnebago View in 2008. It burns diesel fuel, not gasoline. When I bought it, diesel was less expensive than gasoline. I chose the View in part because of its great mileage (about 15 mpg), but also because diesel was cheaper. "I will save some major money," I figured.

Then, only months after I bought the motorhome, I was suddenly a very unhappy camper when the price of diesel began creeping up, and then soaring higher than gasoline — at times more than a dollar a gallon. It wasn't fair! And, ever since, that's the way it's been.

Ah, ha! Until now. Now, finally, the price of diesel has dropped below unleaded gas. Is this a trend? I am crossing my fingers and hoping so.

I'm not sure if diesel is cheaper where you live but it is here in Montana. And do you know what I say? I say, "This is mighty good for me ol' pocketbook!"


5 comments:

  1. Wooo Hooooooooo We have a Diesel Sprinter and Tow a Geo Tracker and love the fact that Diesel is cheaper then Unleaded....... Here in California Diesel has remained steady (price wise) but Unleaded has been a roller coaster......

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons (not all of them) we bought a diesel powered rig also. Have not been able to figure out how they justify selling a less processed fuel (compared to gasoline) for a higher price. (other than supply and demand, and using that comparison there are evidently more trucks on the road than cars) As is everything now adays it is backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck, I too had purchased a diesel powered vehicle (F-350) approximately 7 years ago and the price was down on diesel. Looking into the crystal ball, it may stay "down" on pricing for a bit. Yes, we need to keep our fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I have owned 2 gas Class A and am now on my 2nd 5th wheel (towed previously by gas RAM and now gas Ford) I always thought it unfair that diesel was more expensive than gas. The main reason is all those independent truckers on the road. They are sometimes called the lifeblood of this continent, work hard, invest heavily into their trucks and get diminished returns because of high diesel prices. About time they get a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They tell me it's because of lack of refining capacity due to aging, maintenance shutdowns etc. My brother in law and I have an ongoing feud, he wouldn't drive a diesel and I wouldn't drive a gas.
    He tells me that on a given trip, our fuel costs are the same, but I am 13' longer.

    ReplyDelete