Saturday, August 1, 2015

Yet another "World's Largest Thing!"

What's with the Midwest? It seems like every time you turn a corner there's another big thing. . . as in "World's Largest."

It happened again yesterday in Frazee, Minnesota, home of the "World's Largest Turkey." Yes, it's big all right — 20 feet tall! It's along the business route of U.S. 10 on the east side of town in Lion's Park, with an entry archway that reads "Best Lions Park by a Dam Site."

There's a smaller "big" turkey right downtown, maybe one-third the size.

A good part of Frazee's economy is based on turkey farming. So the big turkey makes sense. As you drive out of town in the east you will see huge turkey sheds — each one maybe 70 yards long. You can see thousands of turkeys inside, all crammed together like people in a stuffed elevator. A bunch of them are pressed up at the screened open end of the building looking out. If they had brains I'd say they were dreaming of freedom. But they don't, which is a good thing.

Still, seeing them made me feel sad. I wanted to bust 'em all out.

But then I eat a turkey every Thanksgiving, so I better not feel too guilty or sad because I'm the reason the birds are there.

The "World's Largest Turkey" isn't very old. It's a replacement for one before that burned. But maybe it was for the better because the new big bird is mighty handsome.

5 comments:

  1. I have a few words Ha ha ha ha ha..... How in the world do you find these? Is it a natural attraction? Ur just a un-canny knack?

    Looks like you 2 are having the time of your life....... Safe Travels

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a vegan I'm compelled to tell you that you don't need to eat turkey. Your health would greatly improve without animal products coursing through your body. Having made this disclaimer I do understand as I used to eat turkey....with mashed potatoes.....yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize there were so many "World's Biggest" things in the Midwest. Within about 50 miles of me here in Ohio we have the "World's Largest Basket," which is a building that is the headquarters of a company that makes baskets.

    I have had the same feeling about chicken barns (same setup) when I worked in that business. In the chicken business, those would be "brooder" barns. Conditions are much worse for egg layers, but I eat eggs, and I still eat chicken from cans. I can't get an appetite if I can recognize the bird, but that comes from being inside of the industry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few other side trips in Minnesota would have led you to the worlds largest prairie chicken, worlds largest walleye and the worlds largest ball of twine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penny, yes, the turkey is on fire. Today's new, improved version was built because of the fire to the one you see in the small photo.

    ReplyDelete