Friday, March 16, 2012

I do not like cold

After a few windy, cold days in Port Townsend I have concluded (for at least the 500th time) that I do not like cold. I like WARM! I quit snow skiing years ago because I disliked the cold more than I liked the skiing.

I grew up in Southern California. That may explain why I like to be warm. Then I moved to northern California, where it was not as warm, but not too cold, either. Now, I live in Seattle, where it is colder and for more of the year.

It's easy to see why Seattle people drink so much coffee: they want to be indoors where it is warm, and they need something to pep them up because dark, cloudy and cold days are a downer. Not to everyone, but to a lot of people. I have actually met natives of Seattle who are unhappy when the sun comes out or the temperature rises above 70. Yes, that is true even though I know it is very hard to believe.

If I keep moving north I will end up at the North Pole. That is a terrible thought!

5 comments:

  1. I grew up and lived in New England and I don't do cold, snow or ice. A cold windy day is a bad day to me so I spend my winters where it is warm most of the time like in Baja Mexico. Very little snow and the only ice is in my drink :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to high school in Tacoma back in the mid-sixties. It was the darkness that got me. When I'd leave for school it was dark and when I got home it was getting dark during the winter months. Then add the cool dampness. I thought I was a mole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, hate the cold! It makes me HURT.

    But, contrary to not liking the grey, cloudy day, I love them. I feel they are quiet, lovely colors, that comfort. Rain is gratefully accepted. Snow, is okay, if it melts by the next day and there is a nice warm house and the pretty snow can be enjoyed from INSIDE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't do cold well any more either and it's warm here in Florida ;>)....our summer home, near Eugene Oregon, had snow on the first day of spring. I'm glad we're here instead. (See my link for contrasting pictures) ~ and then come visit Florida next time the Pacific NW gets a 'cold snap'.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Whidbey Island's blow to the Rio Grande Valley's glow. Found this, left there! Have tried visiting Washington's summer, but always pick the wrong weekend I guess. Tried several Oregon summers, better, but with only three or four "Hot" days, in three or four months, not much better. So it's Rving we must go, the sun rises warmly somewhere and sets most beautiful somewhere else, where next?

    ReplyDelete