Monday, March 19, 2012

An unfriendly woman in Sequim, Washington

I was driving into Sequim, Wash., which is famous for three things: Only 10 inches of annual rainfall (it's not far from Seattle), its lavender fields, and its growing population of retirees. I was hoping to stock up on groceries and get some propane (missions accomplished!). As I drove into town, I spotted a bunch of railroad cabooses in the distance in a circle like pioneers' covered wagons.

The place was closed -- gates across both entrances. Still, it was worth a photo and a short story; I could call the owners later for more information.

I pulled the mo'home off the road and walked toward the business. The sign said "B&B," so one mystery solved.

No sooner had I snapped two photos (from the street), than a woman appeared from a parked car on the property. I smiled and waved. "You can't take pictures here!" she barked. She was very mad, a total surprise. I asked, dumbfounded, "You mean I cannot take a picture of your business?"

Can you imagine any hotel, motel, campground . . . or any other business, not permitting you to take its photo -- to perhaps share with their friends or, in my case, share with thousands of friends. That's plain stupid!

"It'll cost you $20 if you want to take a photo," she said, again appearing totally annoyed with me. I mean, there I was, on the street -- public property -- and she was telling me it would cost me $20 to take a photo of her cabooses. Well, too bad for her, I had already taken not one, but two photos, and I was not about to pay her.

I felt like yelling back at her, based on her meanness. But instead, I figured it wasn't worth it. I concluded, right or wrong, that with an attitude like that her business was probably bad and she was frustrated.

Anyway, a short distance away I stopped at the local chamber of commerce office. "What's wrong with that woman at the motel?" I asked, and I realize now I just blurted it out before I even said hello. I sensed that the two women working there were not fans of the place, but they didn't come right out and say it because the caboose motel is a member of the chamber and they should not say bad things about members.

Anyway, thinking about that mean-spirited woman upset me for 15 minutes as I drove toward Port Angeles. Then I forgot about her. Until now. And now I am upset again. I would never stay at her motel.

AFTERTHOUGHT: I made an assumption that the woman was the owner. She may not have been. But she did say "We charge $20. . . " implying that she was, at the very least, a representative of the business.

What? You're not a subscriber to the FREE RVtravel.com newsletter? You should be. Now in our 11th year. Sign up

18 comments:

  1. You can't expect to be or stay in business with a mine-mine-all-mine attitude. Business is all about sharing, she really blew it! If she would have come over and talked to you, she would have found out that she would have gotten some free advertising and possibly new business. Maybe she has a bad business because she is mean, not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry she was so mean to you.There's always got to be one bad apple in the group of good ones.I'll make a mental note never to stop there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that too bad, must be having a REAL bad day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy oh boy, did she blow a great opportunity! No wonder the place was closed!! We will be visiting Washing state soon and I'll make a mental note to stop and take a pic!
    (haha, I'm ornery!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.redcaboosegetaway.com/ Must be this place. I'll tell ya though, your pics look a little more "down at the heels" than theirs on the website! Maybe they're experiencing a downturn in business and haven't been able to keep the place up.... No wonder, if that's the kind of reception people get! Regardless, they need to be mindful of the "face" they put on their business!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karma will get her. That and word of mouth of what a horrible person she is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am on the road. I will be in the area this summer and now plan on stopping there to see what her attitude is. I will report back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've driven by that place several time in the past few years---during the Summer---and don't recall seeing even one car there. I thought it eas closed because it sure appeared to be

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wondered about that place. But no more. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe its that town. We made reservations at the KOA about 2 months in advance of our trip. Two weeks before we got a call canceling us as they had a large group coming. No sorry, no can we help just don't show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live in Sequim. I plan on taking some pictures when i get home from Florida, just because. Maybe you should send your article to the Sequim Gazette as a letter to the editor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i hate to read this. about five years ago, we took my parents to visit friends in sequim. the guys had been in the navy together and both were starting to show signs of dementia. my parents stayed with the friends for two nights while my husband and i explored the area. the night we picked my parents up, we surprised them with a stay at the bed and breakfast. the train cars were in perfect condition and the breakfast was great. the owners were friendly and took us all over the site - sharing the special themes of each car. we have a great pix of the four of us hanging off the end of one of the cabooses. good times - but times change.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first thought was "This gal is mentally ill". Asking for money for your photographs is -literally- crazy talk.

    Seriously, I suspect her problems are less pure meanness and more bad brain chemicals.

    Which merely means you say "Toobad-poorlady" as you drive away from her failing business. I'll bet the townsfolk could tell you some wacky stories about Ms. Caboose...

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. No Pets.
    2. No children under 12.

    12? Kids older than that won't be interested. No wonder they aren't open

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sad story. That place looks like such a wonderful idea. Those of us that remember and miss cabooses are right around peak travel age and this would be a very exciting destination. I'd like to hear the business owners' story. Meantime, if this is available, what an opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Remember Chuck....you only had to put up with this person for a couple of minutes and you came away with a couple of good pix.

    It could always be worse.....you could be married to this indvidual and be around her 24/7.

    Sorry to hear about the trip cancellation. That is a bummer!

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe she WASN'T the owner of the business. Maybe the business WAS closed and she was living in her car on the grounds. That might have been why she tried to tap you up for $20.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's nothing..i know of a resident who fell into bad times and really needed help and understanding and when that resident went to his neighbor for help, she ended up making statements untrue,posted pictures in the sequim gazette calling down hatred on the one asking for help. What ever happened to helping ones neighbor.

    ReplyDelete