Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thoughts about happiness

I was flipping through the TV channels the other day and stumbled upon a program that showed people's funny home videos. There was one where a woman, probably about 20, went crazy with happiness when she opened a present, which was a cell phone. She screamed and ran around in circles and finally started crying because she was so happy.

I was thinking about that woman today. I was thinking about happiness. The thought struck me that it would be great if we could install a little meter in ourselves that we could look at to determine how happy we were. Sometimes it's hard to really know because we are experiencing many conflicting emotions at once. I never get as happy as that woman was about her new cell phone. I'd die if I got that happy: my heart would stop.

I don't consider happiness a goal. I think more about my level of contentment. I strive to be content.

But today, as I drove down a pretty highway on a beautiful sunny day, I thought that when I am driving on a road like that on a day like that, and I am in no rush, I am about as content as a person could be. I don't feel like I have a care in the world. Everything seems right.

I don't think I should aspire to a feeling better than that. I think if I had a meter installed in me that measured contentment, its gauge would be right near the top. Does this make any sense to you? What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. Right on Chuck. I feel the same way as we are tooling down a scenic road in our rig. We have been in the North East for the fall colors and now working our way south, so have had many contended times going through the fall colors and small villages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there's no need to strive for the 'jumping up and down, crying with joy' kind of happiness. That can't be sustained. But, the fact that we are living our dream in the RV lifestyle is more than contentment. It's fulfillment. A kind of pure joy that sometimes does burst at my seams with tears of joy. See our blog entry on a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you hit it on the head. Contentment is probably a very good word for how I feel and within that circle of life there are very happy moments. To live an always HAPPY LIFE would not be realistic to me. Like you mentioned on your heart stopping. Mine would be over worked and quit the game of BEING CONTINUOUSLY HAPPY but like a resting heartbeat the CONTENTMENT fits in well. It took a few years to get there after I retired as I seemed to think I should be doing SOMETHING with my time. Now I have contentment and have had for several years. Great thoughts you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moring Chuck I don't know how a person would really measure happiness all the time ,but I do find myself very content at least 95% of time ! I think that's pretty good Chuck McK

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN Brother!
    It doesn't get ANY BETTER and all is right in your world. ( Believe me, as I have been motorhomin' close to forty years!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was younger happiness was always about getting "things" - now that I know better I find happiness in the everyday joy of seeing a hummingbird or walking my dog on a beautiful day. I will be retired in 4 more years and I am looking forward to travel and adventure!! Until then, that is why I read your blog.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say that I agree with you that contentment is the goal. When I feel content, I know things are as they should be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your always straight from the heart musings, the charm and character of your Roadside Journals throughout the years. I agree with your "contentment" vs. "happiness" commentary. The most soothing, comfortable state of mind, over any time span (hour, day, year or era) is contentment. Contentment is one's general state of being, while "happiness" is a temporary --and often elusive-- reaction to something.

    ReplyDelete