Saturday, November 11, 2006

Heart Castle: what a place!


I visited Hearst Castle today. A two-hour tour costs $20, which includes a bus ride five miles to the castle, which is high atop a hill at 1,600 feet overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It's an amazing view. When you get to the castle, you have to make sure you are not chewing gum. Apparently some people have spit it out on rare oriental carpets, which is one big mess to clean up. The castle is packed with statues, paintings, Greek vases and other art treasures. I can't begin to explain them all. Just believe me when I say they are beautiful and impressive. The main castle, called Casa Grande, is where William Randolph Hearst would stay. It alone has more than 60,000 square feet. All together, counting the main castle and the smaller guest "cottages," there are 52 bedrooms, 102 bathrooms and 41 fireplaces. In the big dining room, on the very long table, are mustard and ketchup bottles. Even though he was filthy rich, Hearst didn't go for fancy stuff at the dinner table. Even the dishes were "Blue Plate," the same thing you would find in a cafe at the time. I was amazed at the outdoor swimming pool. It's as big as maybe three average size houses. But my guide said that Hearst's guests didn't use it much. "People didn't know how to swim like they do today," she explained. Did you know that William Randolph Hearst didn't even start the castle until he was 50 years old? That's true. I can't even imagine living in such a place. It's too much for me. I prefer a little cottage or a motorhome. But this is a great tour. If you are in the area you should take it. Be sure to make reservations ahead of time. It's one busy place!

2 comments:

  1. Just want to say ..."Thanks " for taking the time to Blog your travels. They are very interesting . I am adding some of your stops to my next trips!
    It is really refreshing to see things in a normal, down to earth way~! I am enjoying your trip too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the road again! Just like the old days with Out West.

    ReplyDelete