Saturday, November 25, 2006

My break into show business


This is where I broke into the entertainment business, in this little block buildling in Grass Valley, California. I was in high school. Inside was a 24-hour weather station for the then-new local cable TV franchise. A small black and white camera would automatically move left and right and then back, showing weather dials -- temperature and wind speed, plus the local time. At both ends were two slots where ads painted on card stock could be dropped in for local businesses. If you pulled one of those ads from the slot, the camera would look into a big empty space behind it. You could pause the camera there. That's what we did once a week for my very own TV show, "Spotlight on Teens." We would read news and conduct interviews. There was just the one camera, which was stationary during the show. One day I interviewed a guy name Tom Adams, who went to my high school. Everything was live, mind you, as there was no video tape then. Tom was very tall. I didn't know until later that his head was chopped off for the entire interview. One time the little studio flooded and we did our show in six inches of water. I never got to see the show because it was live. My guess is that maybe a dozen people watched. I got a phone call once from a viewer who told me it was a good show. That was the only time I ever got any feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment