Saturday, November 25, 2006

Stupid RV design


Here is a picture of a overhead sleeping area in a Class C motorhome. Notice the placement of the bed. Notice that there's about three inches of clearance between the mattress and the bottom of the TV cabinet. If two adults were to sleep on this bed, the one on the outside could be no taller than about five feet unless they had baby-sized feet to slide underneath the TV cabinet. This is an example of totally stupid RV design. Someone got paid to design this. Someone approved the design. And probably someone bought this RV at the show where I photographed it. The moral to this story is that when you buy an RV be sure to look at every little thing. Do not assume that the people who built it knew what they were doing.

4 comments:

  1. When I first bought my fifth wheel, I didn't realize that when the door to the bathroom was closed, I couldn't stand and use the toilet because a poorly placed medicine cabinet on one side and a towel bar on the door on the other side made the area between only about 12" wide. Obviously designed by the same folks who did your bed! These designers "design" but do not "utilize".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so some designer had never set foot in an RV of any sort. That's bad enough, but you're right that somebody approved this thing. You certainly make a good case for the "try it out" method of RV buying. One other note: always sit on the toilet. ALWAYS. I'm 5'2" tall, 145 pounds, and I've seen toilets too crowded by sinks and whatnot that I couldn't use them. What do guys who are 6' tall do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck: TV swings out to face the cabin. For sleeping or TV viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a 1990 Tioga Class C and the bathroom in the rear has plenty room. You can pert-ner dance. You have plenty headroom and I've had people in their 6 ft. tall. Fleetwood knows how to make "em.

    ReplyDelete