Sunday, November 23, 2008

Peaceful pond in busy city


I discovered this pond the other day while on a shopping mission. It's in Lynnwood, Wash., about five miles from my home in Edmonds. From the photo you would think it's in the middle of nowhere. But, actually, Scriber Lake Park is surrounded by a busy city. It looks peaceful here because there's no sound. But it was noisy with cars passing by only a few dozen yards from where I snapped this photo. The ducks were upset that I didn't bring them any snacks. After checking me out they paddled away.

2 comments:

  1. Chuck-
    I just happen to find your picture looking for images on google. I work for the Snohomish County Tourism Bureau and would love to use your picture on our website. Our website is www.snohomish.org
    Check it out and let me know. Good work!
    terry@snohomish.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chuck,

    Many years ago a friend of mine and I used to get teriyaki chicken at Toshi's in the shopping center where Safeway is now. Since then he moved to Stanwood, and I to Camano. Recently we were talking about our lunches in Scriber Lake park, and I got nostalgic about it, and so found your lovely picture.

    We used to eat on the dock/bridge on the NW of the lake, (that is in the background of your photo) and feed the ducks bits of leftover chicken, which they would gobble down quite happily. (and which always seemed vaguely creepy to me, as though we were aiding and abetting little cannibals)

    Anyway, how on earth did you find the park while on a shopping mission? I was born in Lynnwood, spent most of my life there, and it wasn't until I was in my thirties that I discovered it. As you know, they couldn't have done a much better job of hiding the park entrance if they had been trying. :)

    ReplyDelete