Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Barbie -- the perfect woman of my youth!

Oh, man! Check out this Barbie TV commercial from 1959. Here she is, the perfect woman -- the image of femininity young girls of my generation aspired to be when they grew up. Ken, Barbie's guy, didn't come along until later. I never wanted to be Ken. He was way too stiff, too plastic. . . boring! Really, really boring! My sister owned a Barbie or two. I remember seeing her naked -- the doll, not my sister. She was only partially realistic, and not interesting to a young guy just producing his first testosterone. Fast forward a few decades. My daughter entered prime Barbie age and passed right through without paying any attention to the most popular doll in the history of mankind. What a relief!

Anyway, check out this commercial with its swell music.


No comments:

Post a Comment