Sunday, September 5, 2010

Watch out for snapping turtles

It's pretty interesting for me to be traveling around the East. I know the West very well after exploring it for 25 years. But I am not very familiar with the East, and that includes its wildlife.

So, visiting with my neighbors Bob and Shirley here in the Sterling KOA park in Sterling, Connecticut, I asked if there were fish in its small pond. I thought I might try to catch one. But they said they didn't think there was anything in there worth catching. But they said that what is in there are snapping turtles. They said they are aggressive. For example, if a duck were to land in the pond, a snapping turtle might sneak up on it, grab its legs, drag it down, and then have a tasty meal.

I walked around the pond this morning but could not see a snapping turtle. I saw big polywogs, minnows, and every so often a frog would jump from shore into the pond. But I did not see a snapping turtle. Bob camps here a lot and he says you hardly ever see them. But he has seen them on occasion. He said they are about a foot long. I did a little research on Wikipedia and learned they can be a lot longer and weigh up to 75 pounds.

"Snapping turtles are omnivores, consuming both plant and animal matter, and are important aquatic scavengers," said Wikipedia "but they are also active hunters that prey on anything they can swallow, including many invertebrates, fish, frogs, reptiles (including snakes and smaller turtles), unwary birds and small mammals." It also said that "common snappers are noted for their belligerent disposition when out of the water, their powerful beak-like jaws and their highly mobile head and neck."

I have never heard of snapping turtles in the West. Maybe you have. If so, let me know. At the KOA here a sign says, "No Swimming." No kidding.

3 comments:

  1. i live in New Jersey, snappers are in most waters in the east,a snapping turtle doesn't let go once it bites onto its prey.I used to catch them for my father n law , who likes to eat them fried (yuck)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw a large snapping turtle early in the month of May near my home in Woodbury MN.I have never ever seen turtles with such long reptile like tails, or large heads. This being my first experience with one, I was happy to see and click photographs in its proximity. Yesterday, a baby snapping turtle, was trying to reach the closest pond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LIVE in area with snapping turtles here in northern KY! They will cross the road and get hit by cars. Twice I saw people trying to help them after they were hit. The first time I watched when the guy walked up behind it and grabbed it by the tail only to have the thing that was the length of a man nose to tail, JUMP and TURN at the guy and snapped at him! The second time I saw one I didn't stick around enough to see anyone try to help it. They are nasty and will bite your hand off in no time at all. It's almost like they are actually like dinosaurs!

    ReplyDelete