Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The flyswatter repairman at the Texaco station


When you are a beginning writer -- one who aspires to write for magazines -- it's difficult to recognize a story even if it hits you on the head. That was me a long time ago. Now, as a writer of many years, if something hits me on the head, I write about it.

What I want to tell you is about one of the stories that I bumped into long ago that I most regret not writing. It happened in Needles, Calif., a town best known for its sizzling summers and Snoopy's brother Spike.

I was on a road trip to the Midwest from my home in northern California. My gas tank was low so I pulled into a gas station. I think it was a Texaco station. It was unbearably hot -- a day you want nothing to do with sunshine.

THIS WAS A LONG TIME AGO
when an attendant would pump your gas. Sort of like present-day Oregon. While my tank was being filled, I stretched my legs. In those days, gas stations did not have mini-marts, only Coke machines that dispensed a bottle for a quarter. So, in telling you that I was an adult in an era when Coke was a quarter, you know that I am old.

Quarter in hand, I walked toward the machine, which was near the big window of the gas station's greasy and messy office. Inside, an old man sat on chair. I couldn't tell what he was doing. But then on the window I spotted a hand-made cardboard sign: "Fly Swatters Repaired."

Sure enough, the man was repairing a fly swatter. I can't remember now how he did it because I wasn't curious about unusual things back then like I am today. But I do recall thinking that you could buy a brand new fly swatter for less than a dollar. So how could a person could earn any money repairing them?

I watched the man for a minute, then went back to my car, paid my $3 and drove away heading east on Route 66.

After a few minutes I began to think about the old man. I thought about turning back to talk with him, to learn more about repairing fly swatters. But as each minute passed, so did another mile, and turning around became a bigger commitment. I kept going.

I returned to Needles a few years later on another trip. I stopped at the gas station. The man was not there, and there was no sign advertising fly swatter repair.

I asked the station attendant about the man, but he said he had never heard of him. I suspected that's what he would say. Still, I was hugely disappointed in not learning about the old man, and how and why he repaired fly swatters.

14 comments:

  1. You missed the opportunity of a life time. Sometimes in life turning around pays big dividens.When out side od Branson Mo.I went to a cafe with a friend. A baggie of water was hung on each screen door(2) If I hadn't turned around I would have never known that the baggie of water magnifies the flys eye and drives them away... No fly swatters needed here.Thanks for your unique observations on RV life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to make you feel better, I remember when Coke was a dime! So, you know some of your readers are older than you are!
    Glad to hear that you're feeling better. Love your column!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck,
    You and your readers must be younger than I am and I don't feel that old. As a kid in Saskatoon, Sask, Canada I would go with my dad to Martens Service station 8 miles north of S'toon. Pump gas with the lever and go inside, get a Coke and an O'Henry bar,7 cents for the Coke and 5 cents for the bar. Today my sugar would be out of whack with those treats. Wish I hadn't sold my Dodge XTC 20' motorhome. Ah well so it goes. Airplane Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a young man working as a Deputy Sheriff in Law Enforcement, we were trained to ‘never pass a crime in progress’. This did not sink in with me until one day, while I was en route to my patrol area outside the city limits, in the County, I noticed some suspicious activity occurring. Because this was inside the City limits, and without thinking about the aforementioned mantra, I got on the radio and reported the suspicious activity to our dispatch and advised the operator to notify the City Police to respond. The matter was forgotten by me until my shift ended and I was in de-briefing at my station. I was the joke of the day with all of the other officers because I had pulled a rookie mistake!

    The truth of the matter is that once you pass an activity, even if you return immediately, the event has passed (in this case the thieves had taken off with their booty) and you will never relive the same event again. In this instance, I did nothing to stop the crime in progress and make an arrest, and; the City Police had to respond and take a theft report from the victim.

    The moral of the story is that I like you, realize and understand the error of my ways and now take the time to stop and enjoy the small things in life. Life is not a schedule, it is an event to be recognized and enjoyed at every opportunity.

    Happy RV’ing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuck, thanks for the Newsletter.

    I am not old :) but I remember gas at .22/gal. I think Camels were .25/pack. Geezzzz, I'm depressed now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember seeing fly swatters that were made with a light weight wire for the handle (similar to a wire clothes hanger) in a long thin loop and a square of window screen material. The screen square was fixed to the square shaped end of the handle with a material much like hem tape. So the old gent was probably replacing the screen and securing with fresh tape sewn on.
    Also, I remember 6 oz coke that cost 5 cents, and I did not have the 5 cents. Yikes, I just discovered that my keyboard has no cents symbol. Proof that a penny isn't so much now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also can remember nickel cokes and one time, crossing Arizona on Rt. 66, free gas, you only had to pay the state tax. Wow, what a gas war. Those were the good ol' days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While we remember 5, 10, or 15 cent cokes, and 13, 28 cent gas, one day our grandchildren will be saying, "I can remember when cokes only cost $2.29 and gas was only $6.00 a gallon"
    Life moves on and the Corps CEOs get richer!
    And RVers keep having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Chuck...another thing to wonder is "Was it a right or left handed flyswatter"? hmmmm
    By the way, I remember cokes at a nickel and the coke machines that had that big silver knob that you put all your weight on to push it down and a small bottle of coke would flopped down and we'd empty the caps out and put them all around our home made scooters made out of 2x4's and my sisters' roller skate wheels, nailed down on the bottom. Those caps really 'tricked out' my ride...heh! 57 years young
    Great posts here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And now I know the rest of the story....while in Branson, MO I saw a baggie of water on the front door of the Dunkin Donuts store, and regretted not asking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi fellow R VRs I also remer the 5 cent Cokes & the frozer candy bars Also the times when you would fill the gas tank for less than a dollar & get free fancy glasses or another gift Wow i am showing my age. Well keep on traveling & have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone is worried about going green, nowadays. Wasn't 12-25 cent gas a real green event? I had a "Whizzer" pedal bike, a one lung motor that turned the back wheel with a v-belt. I would "fill-up" with 25 cents once a week. Sometimes I would put in a dime's worth of gas because I was going to see my girlfriend that week. Oh yeah, we used to WALK to the movies!

    Take that Al GOre!

    Great stories..Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The year was two thousand. I was pulling a 1973 airstream behind a 96 suburban. I had my mom and dad (in their seventies) and my Daniel and Stella (in single digits). I was coming up on Bishop, CA and saw this perfect picture of grassy fields separated by barbed wire fences with rustic posts running perpendicular to the road and toward the big brown hills in the background. Ther was a crow sitting on every post and the sun was coming in at the perfect angle. I didn't turn the rig around and take a photo. Have regretted it for a decade. The other regret was the next summer, same companions, I didn't stop in Tillamook ORegon and visit the Air Museum. It would have been the highlight of the trip for Dad.
    But we did alot of other fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate to say it and I was NOT an adult, but in 1948 I had my picture published in the Winnipeg Tribune in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (home of the Polar Bears in Churchill Manitoba).

    The caption was "david ingram" has the last 5 cent Coca Cola. a family friend, Henry Kreutzer was a big time Coke Man and that was how I ended up in the paper instead of his son Glenn who became my best friend and died July 29, 2007.

    So like the 5 cent coke, may Glenn also RIP

    david ingram taxman@centa.com proud possessor of a 1979 33 foot Diplomat made in Lethbridge Albera and a great copy of a 33 foot Apollo - complete with a Dodge M600 chassis with 250,000 miles on an original unopened Dodge 440 IV although it has had 4 transmissions. we call her DE DUCK TABLE amd she has been in 42 states and all ten provinces and one territory from Homer Alaska to St John's Newfoundland, only missed those few states down in the south east corner and they were always going to be next year.

    And I have never met anyone who has even seen a flyswatter repairman let alone being inthe same room. What an honor.

    ReplyDelete