Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Inflation: Quarter horses now cost 50 cents


If you have kids, then this is likely a familiar sight. My daughter is now 17, so (needless to say) she does not beg me to ride these mechanical "horsies" like she did when she was four or five. The last time I looked at one of these electo ponies -- usually found outside supermarkets -- they costs 25 cents a ride. I used to call them Quarter Horses. But now, I see by this horse outside a Tucson, Ariz., supermarket, that a ride now costs 50 cents, which seems like a lot to me. Once, on a long family RV trip, we found horses like this for a penny at a chain of small Colorado supermarkets. My kid could ride forever for five cents. Yeah. . . the good ol' days.

5 comments:

  1. Back east they have stores called Meijers and they still only cost a penny to ride the horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to ride one of these horses at the supermarket that's a few blocks away from my house back in 1997. The horse is gone now. I went down the shore in Wildwood NJ and they have those mechanical horses that costs 50 cents a ride. I enjoyed riding those horses down at Wildwood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being the great Grand Parents they were, they bought one of these horses and had it redone. They gave it to their only grandson as a gift. I still have the mechanical horse and need to find it a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband asked me to see what I could find online about purchasing one of these mechanical horses. He would be very interested in buying your horse for our granddaughter. Please email me off loop at mob1213@aol.com with price, details, etc - thx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anonymous still have the horse?Where is it and how much?Thanks

    ReplyDelete