Thursday, February 7, 2008

Alone in the desert, but not really


It's a little frustrating to head off into the middle of the desert with the intent of getting away from civilization, and then realizing you can't do it. No matter where you go, if you look above you will see evidence of mankind. Even along the most remote backroad, they will be there -- slivers of ice marking the path of an aircraft high above. In southern Nevada you will often see six or more at a time -- looking like comets as they streak silently across the sky.

Sometimes when I am in a very remote place in the desert, I will pull off the road, turn off my RV's engine and walk into the vast expanse of dirt and cactus. Being from the Northwest, where one's footsteps are marked by the sloshing of shoes, it's always a thrill to hear their "crunch, crunch" in the desert. On these walks, I will often come to a point where I will pause to enjoy my solitude. But if I should look above, they will be there -- airliners speeding across the heavens. As I look skyward I know that at least a few passengers are pressing their noses to the window, looking over the vast "nothing" below. They don't see any evidence of me because I am 100 times smaller than an ant. But I see them. Sometimes I wish they would just go away.

4 comments:

  1. "Alone in the desert, but not really"? I feel the same as you Chuck, I am a man who loves his solitude, especially in the desert, just my dog and me, but sometimes when I look up a little higher, I feel there is always "someone" with me, bringing peace into my life. I speak of course, my God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, come on Chuck! Let me see if I got this right...a hundred miles of solitude you're bummed by the contrail of a flight so far above your head you can neither see the plane nor hear yet you never considered that the rig you drove in on is an intrusion on the very thing you seek.

    If you're serious with this complaint let me suggest a 9-5'r where you can be paid for nit picking.

    It's time for an attitude adjustment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't look up Chuck!!! Problem solved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuck,
    It sounds like you might like the book `Desert Solitaire' by Edward Abbey who spent a couple of summers in Arches N.P. as a part time Ranger.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete