Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A lonely road helps me think


This is a scene from highway 267 leaving Death Valley (via Scotty's Castle), heading east toward U.S. 95 in Nevada, a major two-lane route from Reno to Las Vegas. For most of highway 267, this is what the road looks like. I don't think there is a single residence along the 27 miles from Scotty's Castle to U.S. 95. There's at least one ghost town, which you can see in the picture. Otherwise, it's nothing but road and wide open spaces including a couple of huge dry lakebeds you can drive on for a smoother ride than any freeway. I once hit a golf ball on one of these lakebeds and after landing it bounced forever. I never found it.

In the 45 minutes it took me to drive this road, only two or three vehicles passed from the other direction. When I wanted to take a picture, I could just stop in the middle of the road and snap away. Actually, I did that a few times. You can almost always see another vehicle approaching for miles so it is next to impossible to get hit. I like roads like this because I can get a lot of thinking done.

No comments:

Post a Comment