Friday, February 23, 2007

My name is Chuck and other names


My name is Chuck, but it's really Charles. I took the name Chuck when I was a teenager. I thought it was better than Charles, which sounded too formal. For the last few decades I have questioned my decision. I have determined that the name Chuck is the most common name found on bowling alley score cards. I have a cartoon that shows a butcher shop: "Chuck Steak: $1.49 a pound," it says. "Charles Steak, $5.49 a pound."

I especially love the word Chuck as it is used in the popular term "Up Chuck."

But I could have a name that I liked less. Here are a few names I found in a book called "Remarkable Names of Real People."

Remember, these are absolutely real.

Dr. Zoltan Ovary (a noted gynecologist)
A. Moron (Commissioner of Education, Virgin Islands)
Sir Basil Smallpiece
Mrs. Belcher Wack Wack (she married Mr. Wack and then his brother)
Cardinal Sin (Archbishop of Manila)
Reverand Christian Church
Baroness Gaby von Bagge of Boo
Gaston J Feeblebunny
I.C. Shivers (iceman)
Ima and Ura Hogg
Katz Meow
Preserved Fish, Jr.

In my own family, one name always gets a chuckle: my great aunt Fanny Butts. I once came across a married couple who worked as real estate agents in Sacramento, California. Their name: The Swindlers. Maybe you have some names to add!

2 comments:

  1. How about our neighbor Cookie Crum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the late 1980's there was a proctologist in Houston, TX whose name was Dr. Butts!!

    ReplyDelete