Sunday, February 25, 2007

Making fire starters from pinecones


Sometimes it's a little hard to get a campfire started. Here's a way to turn pinecones into firestarters. Thanks to the Old Farmers Almanac for this information.

Start with pinecones that are already dried. There are two ways to have fun with pinecones as a fire starter. First, melt any old candle stubs you have. A double-boiler works nicely for this job. Then, dip the pinecones into the hot wax. Let dry, perhaps on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. When dry, store them in your RV and use as needed. The wax helps them burn long enough to help get your fire going. For more special effects, soak the dried pinecones for 24 hours in a solution of 1 pound Epsom salts to 1 gallon water. Let the cones dry again. When you use these as fire starters, they will produce a myriad of colors in the campfire.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, this brings back memories....I'm from New England and my sister and I used to gather pinecones, treat them, and then give them to my Aunt who had a fireplace. This summer I'll gather some pinecones to use for the coming winter desert campfires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look thee farther for fire starters...try the book Roughin' it easy I and Roughin' it easy II. It's a woman I think named Karen but I can't recall it just now. It also brings back memories - like when I had pinecones er spruce cones to get.....

    ReplyDelete