Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas from Walden Pond


I am spending Christmas in the Boston area. Yesterday I walked the two mile trail around Walden Pond. Here, 152 years ago, Henry David Thoreau lived in small cabin and wrote his famous book Walden, where he discussed, among other things, his simple life there. "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler," he wrote. Today, virtually nothing remains of the cabin besides stone markers that outline where it once stood.

I took a photo of the cabin site with my cell phone camera. As I did, I noticed that I was receiving a broadband connection with the Verizon cell tower. I thought that if I had brought my laptop computer along with me I could sit on the ground inside Thoreau's cabin and write a little essay and then post it to the Internet right there and then using my high speed cell phone connection.

I wonder what Thoreau would think about that. I think he would either be horrified or impressed. But I really don't know.

Oh. . . by the way, if you want to stay at Walden Pond today you can hole up at the Thoreau Bed and Breakfast Inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment