Sunday, June 28, 2015

Noon, 96 degrees and battling mosquitos!

It's noon in Twisp, Wash., where I am holed up for another 20 hours. The temperature is already 96, headed to 106. It's already too hot to do anything.

I killed at least two dozen mosquitoes in the motorhome this morning and I'm still swatting. I have no idea how they got in and I think they are still coming. Just when I think I have finished off the last one, another shows up. I have never liked mosquitoes. I know every creature is on Earth for a purpose. I don't know what that might be for mosquitoes.

My major pastime today, besides staying inside my RV to be cool and avoid mosquitoes, will be to itch mosquito bites from the last couple of days. I have six on one foot and another two or three dozen elsewhere. This whole Methow Valley is swarming with the pests. I woke up at 4:30 this morning to the sound of one at my ear. Then there was another and another. I swatted like a mad man. I got a few, missed most. I cursed. I tried to go back to sleep, but awoke again to the annoying "zzzzzzzzzz" of the pathetic little creatures — sometimes two, even three at a time — worthless, bloodsucking buddies.

I'm camped along the Methow River. It's beautiful. I'll walk down this evening and wade in the cool water. It feels good, really good.

But I'm headed outta here tomorrow morning. Tired of mosquitoes. Tired of heat.

Sad to say, where I'm headed, which is east, it's hot or even hotter. I don't care. I'm going anyway. Gotta to at least try to find a cooler place. Maybe the weatherman is wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Chuck there is relief right around the next corner... Ha ha ha

    Safe Travels...Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. We battled fierce mosquitoes in Alaska a few summers ago -- I decided they're on earth to teach me persistence, and to keep my hunting skills honed :) Have you tried one of those tennis-racquet type zappers? They're smelly when you zap a bug, but they do add a sporting element to all that swatting. And bag balm is great on those bites (great on a lot of things, like cuts and rashes... the sorts of things RVers are regularly afflicted with). It's in a green patterned tin and you can find it at many Walmart stores -- Bag Balm. Originally made for other purposes, but we always have it with us.

    ReplyDelete