Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mama and Papa Duck

These are my two favorite ducks. I call them Mama Duck and Papa Duck. The have visited me every year for seven years. They think my condo's swimming pool is a pond. As you can see from the short video, they are friendly. Still, they are technically wild ducks.

Every April, I wait for them to return. The day I see them swimming in the pool, I become very happy! It's a sure sign of spring. About every other year, they have babies. In my opinion, there is nothing much cuter than a baby duck. One year, all the babies got trapped in the swimming pool. They couldn't jump high enough to get out onto the deck. Mama Duck was very concerned. But I came to rescue. I got the pool cleaning wand and one by one lifted them out. They just waddled away.

Last year was disappointing because Mama and Papa Duck returned to the pool at different times. I never saw them together. Mama would show up, wait awhile and leave, and then Papa would arrive. I don't know if they every hooked up. So no babies last year. And no babies so far this year. I saw Mama and Papa Duck just yesterday.

I have loved ducks since I was child. My family's next door neighbors, Helen and Sam, had a white duck named Louie. He was a very friendly duck. But what I remember most about Louie was the mess he made. Our neighbors' concrete patio was a slimy mess thanks to Louie.

If I lived somewhere where I could have a duck as a pet, I would have one. I would also have two chickens.

1 comment:

  1. Chuck, We too have a pair of ducks that return each spring. They feed from the droppings of our bird feeder, stick around for a few days, resting under our newly budding maple tree, then they're off. Sometimes they stop by in the fall on their way somewhere warm. It's always nice to see them.

    If you can, get a shot of your ducks in the pool. That would be fun to see!

    * Rita

    ReplyDelete