Monday, April 26, 2010

Too many pens

Now this is embarrassing. What you see in this picture are five coffee mugs, each filled mostly with pens. This is from my home. Two of the mugs are from my desk. One is from the top of a bookshelf in my living room. One is from on top of a floor-model 1940s Motorola radio in my dining room. The other is from my kitchen counter. I do not know how many pens there are except "too many."

I bet I did not buy more than a dozen of these pens. Most were giveaways. Some of these pens have traveled a bit. About a half dozen are from Best Western Hotels. There's one from the Silver Legacy Hotel in Reno and one from the University of Redlands Alumni Association that says "Alumni Make a Difference." Two pens came from Gregory B Moulton DDS with the message "Family Dentistry with a Gentle Touch." I have never heard of Dr. Moulton. There's a pen from Chuck's RV, and one that simply says #1 Grandpa. I am not a grandpa, so nobody gave me that pen.

I bet I have another 100 pens in drawers. It's ridiculous. Why does a person need so many pens? I could easily get by with about a half dozen blue ones, a couple of black ones, and maybe a red one or two. I don't think I would ever need a green pen.

The problem with having too many pens is that:
--It's really hard to make yourself throw away something that still works.
--You can't give them to other people because they have too many pens, too.
--You can't sell them because they're worthless.

And to think that ballpoint pens were once an amazing, expensive thing! The first big success selling ballpoint pens came in 1945 when Gimbels Department Store sold 10,000 in one day at $12.50 each! People lined up outside the store to buy one. A lot of people tried to invent a ballpoint pen before then, starting in the late 1800s. But the pens never worked right. In 1952 a Frenchman named Marcel Bich hit it big when he introduced the "Ballpoint Bic," which is known today as the Bic.

So what should I do with all my pens. Have any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Chuck,

    Too bad we aren't neighbors. I could use a few of those pens. I have the opposite problem. No matter how many pens I buy they all disappear within a month or two. I never have any at home or work. Yesterday I was desperate and stole a cheap Paper Mate off the desk of a coworker I don't even know. Somebody needs to invent a Twelve Steps program for habitual pen thieves.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete