Thursday, October 30, 2008

The urge to come and go with my RV


I don't know if I could ever be a full-time RVer. I like living a normal life where my house does not move. I also like living a life where my house (motorhome) DOES move. When I am home for more than a month, I start daydreaming of going away. Most of the time I dream of going away by motorhome. Day by day, the urge to go grows stronger until I must leave. Sometimes I just go camping close by for a couple of days. But this is like putting a Band Aid on a bad cut: it takes care of the immediately problem but is not a suitable long term solution.

WHEN I FINALLY do get away on an RV trip, I am happy as can be. . . for a couple of weeks, a month . . . somewhere in that range. Then gradually my thoughts start turning to home -- about my family and friends, my big and comfy Queen size bed that does not require a ladder to reach, my spacious (relatively speaking) house, and my computer with a screen twice as large as my laptop's. After about a week of thinking like this, the urge to return home becomes too strong to resist. So, wherever I am, I turn back toward familiar turf. To be honest, I usually race back like I am in a hurry, which is a big joke because I seldom am. After a few decades of behaving like this, I still do it.

A month after I arrive home, I want to go again. I guess I have a split personality.

5 comments:

  1. I understand exactly what you mean.
    I feel the same way.
    We just bought a new Class C 2900 and intend to to do just that...live in our "Stick" home until we can't stand it anymore and then hit the road...until we can stand "it" anymore and go back home :-)

    Thank you for a wonderful RV newsletter...enjoy it immensely.
    ~~Rob and Tres
    in Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just purchased a Class B motorhome for my husband and me this summer. He questioned my mental stability at first but certainly is "coming aboard" with enthusiasm now! We've only been on 3 mini trips so far but we're already planning more outtings!
    I, too, can hardly stand the time spent at home (stick) anymore until we're on the "freedom road" again. I've certainly got the bug and I think my husband is getting it too. I hope we don't find the cure any time soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly feel the same, tho never been out more than a month. But especially in cold weather in Mo. am ready to head south again. Great newsletter, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get a bigger motorhome. I have a real queen sized bed in mine and also a PC with two 22" screens!

    ReplyDelete