Friday, January 11, 2008

Why RVing is like joining the circus


I came across a book recently about "Running Away With the Circus." But what it was really about was running away from one's present life and to a new one. Quitting an executive job to take up pottery-making would be an example. Retiring early to go full-time RVing would be another.

When you were young did you ever dream of joining the circus? I did. Oh, I was never serious about it, but I did ponder the idea of drifting from place to place gypsy-style. I have never understood my need to be a drifter. Some people need to plant roots firmly and then stay planted. I never desired deep roots, but shallow ones that could be easily replanted elsewhere.

I know people who love one place. They may try living in different towns, but never feel quite at home until they arrive in a special town where, for the first time, they feel complete. "This is it," they say, and that is where they remain forever.

I have never found such a place. My place has always been somewhere different from the place before. My house -- my very favorite house -- has always been my motor-house, the one that allows me to live as a gypsy without being so conspicuous that people think me odd. I like waking up often in a different place, but I especially like it when I awake in such a place in my very own RV's bed. I believe this is like having your cake and eating it, too.

At a recent RV show, I met many wonderful people, and among them were dozens who were about to embark on a full-time life on the road. Most were not of traditional retirement age, but younger. I did not ask them if, when they were young, they dreamed of joining the circus where they could drift about the land. But I have a feeling some of them would have said yes.

Right now, writing this, I'm feeling a bit of what I felt as a young man when I dreamed of joining the circus -- of seeing new places and having new experiences. Those people at the RV show — the soon-to-be full-timers -- they got me thinking about my persistent restlessness. Have you ever stood at the airport and watched a friend's plane take off to a place far away? Did you want to go? Did you feel envy? Did you feel left behind?

That's the way I feel right now.

9 comments:

  1. I grew up in a small farm community in Northwest Missouri. A town so small that the circus never came to town. Consequently, I had to join the Navy. Spent 23 years in the Navy and another 17 years working for DOD as a civilian. I was lucky enough to have traveled the world for 40 years and get paid to do so. The fulltime RV life was inevitable. I still can not stay in one place for a long period of time. Still much remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, every time I see an RV heading up or down I-75 or out I-94, I want to tag along. I am married to a deeproot guy though, so fulltiming is not in the cards. Why does he win? Inertia, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why they call some of us "Escapees".

    ReplyDelete
  4. After traveling the world, especially the Middle East, for years with the State Dept Foreign Service, I retired two years ago. Try sitting still after that life-style. It had fit me perfectly. No deep roots for me either. I am so happy a family friend was selling her RV and I happened upon it. The "style" fits me perfectly. As Anonymous said, so much still remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We lived in one home for 24 years, though RVing seemed inviting in the back of my mind. (Still never done it.) We moved twice after that and now are looking forward to purchasing our first RV this summer, not retirement age, only 57 & 58. We will have to return to FL every year to work for 6-7 months, but we are so excited we found a way to pull off RVing while we can still scramble up ladders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have stirred up the wanderlust in me, but I guess it's not in the cards. We have a beautiful home in the woods near Pacific City, Oregon, so I guess I'll have to settle for deep roots in a great vacation land. We're both getting a litle long in the tooth; early 70's and the old bones are complaining when we climb in and out of our 5th wheel; but I really enjoy your blog site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chuck:

    I am a long time subscriber to rvtraveler. I enjoy the articles and frankly I seem to live vicariously through others' adventures. I have a beautiful Country Coach sitting next to my beautiful paid off house, and I keep saying that "one day" either alone or with my wife, I am going to travel this wonderful country. After four heart attacks and a 5-way heart by-pass you would think that "one day" should be now.

    Keep up the good work.

    Retired Cop - Burned Out Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mean to be rude retired cop-burned out attorney but you really should listen to your heart-pun intended. My father was footloose and moved all over the states on a whim. My mother would follow along, dragging us kids [8] behind her. Circus? My family was a circus unto it's own. 8 different states before I finished High School. I entered the service and traveled for 20 years more but when I retired, I became an OTR Trucker and kept rolling and now that I have had a bout with cancer, it's time to actually stop and see all those places I passed by and the only way to do that is to full-time RV! Enjoy life now, now, now! because tomorrow doesn't always come. If one of you [God forbid] passes before the other, what are they going to do with a big beautiful but lonely house and an RV? If it's paid for, visit it once in awhile, get out there and enjoy life together, you will live longer and every moment will be with the one you cherish the most.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been with you since your Out West days. Always loved your wanderlust stories. I'm solo now so my house is up for sale and I'm in the process of having my 1991 Champion motorhome remodeled for full-timing. It will be done next wk. I couldn't be more thrilled. OK, I'm 74. So what? It's a great time to launch my dream. I've had many careers and all were exciting and educational. But, it was 2 yrs of long haul truck driving where I developed a passion for RVing. I'd see them in truckstops and going down the road, and think to myself, man, those RVers have real freedom. With the remodeling almost complete, my "Buggy," is looking right spiffy. Already I'm beginning to think about a new TV, GPS, solar, and oh yes, a paint job. The idea of always being someplace else is an endlessly interesting and exciting way to live. In comparison, the past is, as we now say, so over. From a nomad in a new world.....

    ReplyDelete