Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Anticipation

In two days I'm hitting the road to Death Valley and beyond. Just thinking about leaving is almost as good as doing it. But when departure time is a mere 48 hours away like now, the pain of waiting is acute: I want to roll at this very minute! But I have chores to finish and a motorhome to load. . . So, gotta wait just a little bit longer before turning the key to ignite the engine. Ever been to Death Valley? It's not a wasteland as some people think. It's beautiful. I'll park the RV at the Furnace Creek oasis, where there are a thousand palm trees and gushing spring water that helps keep everything green, even on summer days when the temp hits a ridiculous 125 degrees or higher. I've been going to Death Valley since I was a little kid, and that was back in the dinosaur age. But not a whole lot has changed. It's good to return to a familiar place, one that hasn't been overrun with franchise food joints. Did you know that Death Valley is America's largest National Park? Yup, it's true. And in case you don't know, it's in California.

2 comments:

  1. You're beating me there by about three weeks. I've never camped in DV and the DW and I are going for 4 days. We too are camping at Furnace Creek. I haven't been to DV in at least 10 years.
    You're also right, one of the good things about DV is its timelessness. I can't wait to go. I've serviced my generator and am getting new coach batteries for the dry camping in preparation for the trip. Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're also headed for Death Valley. Where is the best place to start our journey? What is a "must see", what should we avoid? We've never been to Death Valley and want to be sure we don't miss anything. We'll be camping at Furnace Creek. Thanks

    ReplyDelete