Friday, January 22, 2010

My computer and how it runs my life


It's about 5 p.m., Friday. My eyes are tired of looking all day at the computer screen. Every Saturday, my online newsletter at RVtravel.com is posted. I've been doing it for about nine years now. Sometimes I can get an issue done ahead of time, but most times I go right to my deadline on Friday evening.

It takes me almost two days to write and put together the newsletter. It's a grind. Still, I love it. Every week, when it is done I get to celebrate another few days where I can do something else, maybe even turn off the blasted computer. It's hard for me to remember my life before my computer. I do recall that in the beginning I used it only to write. And that was it. Then the Internet and email came along. Then came high speed Internet. And that was when my life in the real world got all whacked out by the constant temptation to dive into the cyberworld to write yet another story or research something or check the weather or my stocks or look for some cool YouTube videos or see who had emailed me in the last 4.3 minutes.

I still have about one hour of miscellaneous work to do on the newsletter this evening. Then I will have dinner. Then I will pass out from being brain dead because I lack willpower to get away from my computer.

The computer is a miracle. It's also a curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment