Friday, May 8, 2009

Why I like to travel in my RV like a gypsy

I came across a book recently about "Running Away With the Circus." But what it was really about was running away from one's present life and to a new one. Quitting an executive job to take up pottery-making would be an example. Retiring early to go full-time RVing would be another.

When you were young did you ever dream of joining the circus? I did. Oh, I was never serious about it, but I did ponder the idea of drifting from place to place gypsy-style. I have never understood my need to be a drifter. Some people need to plant roots firmly and then stay planted. I never desired deep roots, but shallow ones that could be easily replanted elsewhere.

I know people who love one place. They may try living in different towns, but never feel quite at home until they arrive in a special town where, for the first time, they feel complete. "This is it," they say, and that is where they remain forever.

I have never found such a place. My place has always been somewhere different from the place before. And my house — my very favorite house — has always been my motor-house, the one that allows me to live as a gypsy without being so conspicuous that people think me odd. I like waking up often in a different place, but I especially like it when I awake in such a place in my very own RV's bed. I believe this is like having your cake and eating it, too.

Right now, I'm feeling a bit of what I felt as a young man when I dreamed of joining the circus — of seeing new places and having new experiences. Have you ever stood at the airport and watched a friend's plane take off to a place far away? Did you want to go? Did you feel envy? Did you feel left behind? That's how I feel right now.

5 comments:

  1. Growing up in NW Missouri I also dreamed of joining the circus. Alas, my hometown was so small that the circus never even came close. So, I joined the Navy at age 17, stayed 23 years and then took on another career that required me to travel. I am now 65 years old and still cannot stay put in one place for very long. Writing this from a beautiful beach near Malibu this morning and thinking of where to go next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! I grew up in South Dakota, and it was the distant whistle or horn of a train that sparked my wanderlust. When the circus came to town I would gaze wistfully at the departing trucks as they packed up the tent and left, wanting to go with them. And whenever I see a plane taking off I pause for a moment, if I can, and watch it, wishing I were on board. That's why RVing appeals to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In 1970 my wife and I bought a 21' travel trailer and joined the circus working in maintenance & concessions. We really enjoyed the adventure of new surroundings and people. After 2 years we retired the trailer & started a family. Five years later I started a business which has grown & is operated by my son. We also own a plane together & enjoy beautiful views from the air.
    Eight years ago we decided to go on the road again with a Class C motor home & instantly realized what we really enjoyed. We now have a 40 foot diesel which we call home. Currently on a long slow journey to Alaska and the West coast which is going to be new for us.
    We are now retired and living a life as RVers enjoying this country we call home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the 1-1/2 years we have been full-timing, we find that everywhere we stop is a little different. We love exploring each area we go to. If we were still at home...I think I would be bored as busy as I used to keep myself. I guess there is a little gypsy in us too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuck,

    you said it so well, I was tempted to steal it. The only thing missing that would make it perfect is the companionship of a great dog.

    Steve and Danny
    The Highway guys
    www.highwayguys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete