Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Cell phone ring or ice cream truck passing by?


An ice cream truck just passed through the campground. As it passed, the ice cream man eyed my campsite, probably looking for a kid. When I first heard his truck's jingle I reached for my cell phone to answer it. I do that all the time when I hear jingles, whether on the radio, on a CD, or from another person's cell phone. This wasn't the first time I tried to answer an ice cream truck. Too many things ring nowadays. We are a society of ringing things.

I don't know how that ice cream man sleeps. That jingle must go through his head over and over long after he parks his truck, even at night in bed. You can't just put a pillow over your head and make a tune go away! Maybe he changes the jingle throughout the day to help keep a single song from getting stuck in his head -- that would make sense. If you are an ice cream man (or woman), please email me and tell me if you change your tune.

A lot of people are forced to listen to the same thing over and over. At my local grocery store, many customers use the self-checkout. A voice tells you what to do. After you scan an item, a female voice says "Please put the item in the bag." I have always wondered if it's a real or a computer voice. If it's real, then I would like to meet the voice to put a face to it. Not much chance of that, I don't think.

A lone grocery checker monitors all eight self checkout stations. "Please put the item in the bag," repeats over and over, all day, probably a thousand times in one checker's shift.

When the checker goes home, he or she probably just crashes in a comfy chair to zone-out after a day of standing up and being nice to people. I bet "Please put the item in the bag" goes through the checker's head. That would be awful. It would drive me nuts.

8 comments:

  1. Imagine being a Wal-mart greeter (my future job, no doubt) and having to say the same thing over and over--- "Good Morning Good Morning Good Morning..."
    Of course after 12 o'clock, you get to change it up a bit--- "Good Afternoon..."
    and
    So sorry for the loss of you father. Never easy no matter what the age. God bless.
    Mark and Bobbie
    "The Artful RV Adventurers"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't too long ago that a Wal-Mart greeter was working at our precinct voting location. As my wife and I entered to cast our votes we were greeted with "Welcome to Wal-Mart-----Damn, that's the third time it's happened today.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ice cream man runs 3 times a week at same time. Hard to get confused with all the other rings when you know when to expect him. I am so sorry your Mom passed on. The Lord be with you and yours in your time of need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing, but nothing compares to the ride at Disneyland that blares out 'It's a small world after all'. That tune stays in your head foreever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While riding my bike on bike paths, sometimes I have to ring my bike bell to warn people. Rather than move to the side, they reach for their cell phone. Now I ring the Bell and a Loud HELLO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had a few jobs that replayed over and over after leaving work. I think the best is closing my eyes after days of berry picking and seeing all those fruits on my eyelids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for the loss of your Mother and shortly before your Father... I too lost both my parents within 90 days of each other! My parents had lived in TX, I live in MN, for the past 20 yrs and although Mom wanted so badly to return to her home state of MN so she could be at least with one of her 3 children ( other siblings in PA) Dad refused... He had kept Mom as his "possession" for all their married lives.. They had been married 69 yrs the day before Mom passed! Dad passed first and we got Mom to MN... however she had had a stroke jut prior to my Dad's passing which left her blind! I had always thought if my Dad passed first I would have the chance to "catch up" on all the years Dad had Mom as his possession and we would be able to just spend those special moments together. Due to Mom's stroke leaving her blind, she was in a care center both in TX and also here in MN as she no longer could find her clothes, eat on her own or enjoy all the things she loved..She played the organ, loved to read and watch Lawrence Welk, watch the birds and enjoy the flowers... all these things I thought I would have the chance to do with her IF Dad left us first...
    However, even though Mom was blind, I had moved close to her care center and was planning on taking her to my apt and have as much of those 'special' times with her anyway... She was only in MN 28 days when she decided to join my Dad... I got some special time with her in the care center, but I never got to take her to "my house". So... I am so thankfulfor you that you got those last 5 months with your Mom to make those memories... I have at least the few days of mine and I will cherish them forever as I know you will your 5 months. I only wish my Mom could have been able to see me during her last days!
    Enjoy those memories, I do every day!
    Marijo, MN

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are classic car people and I have changed my cell ringtone to "Fine 409" by the Beachboys. NO one looks at their phone when mine rings/plays.! LOL

    ReplyDelete