Friday, August 31, 2007

What a beauty, the now-classic GMC motorhome


Is this a beautiful RV? It looks really modern, but this GMC motorhome was built about 35 years ago! I remember when I was a young man and was dreaming of buying my first RV, I drooled over this one. My idol Charles Kuralt, who roamed the back roads for CBS News, traveled with one of these for awhile, and it was featured on his "On the Road" segments on the evening news. You would often see the coach pictured as it rolled down a scenic two-lane highway. And when there was a shot of Kuralt inside at his typewriter. . . well, this aspiring young journalist went basically crazy with desire to do the same.

These classic low-profile design motorhomes went out of production 30 years ago, but you still see them, and I don't think most non-RVers would ever guess they are older than just about all the other motorhomes on the road today.

If you want to learn more about this classic coach, do a Google search using the keyword GMC motorhome and you'll find many websites and feature articles. If you own one of these, leave a comment and tell the rest of us what you think of it.

9 comments:

  1. Chuck - you can see more about them at http://gmc.mybirdfeeder.net/GMCforum/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are abaolutely correct...still over 7000 on the road and many more parked but could be road worthy with effort and some $$. There is an int'l. GMC morothome rally at Amana Colonies, Iowa, Sept. 16-22, 2007. Expect about 125-150 GMCs there.... Michael Bozardt, GMC Motorhome Reclamation Services, email ilse@earth-comm.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the most beautiful motor homes ever built. They are timeless in design. Could have used a more efficient drive system, but I would buy one today that was well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you own a GMC or are interested in them, contact the GMC Motorhome Registry at www.gmcss.com/Registry.htm
    Davegreenberg1@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have had an interest in vehicles since a very early age and always admired the GMC. Finally bought one and spent 7 years on a total custom and rebuild. We love our GMC and it attracts a crowd wherever we go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed a GMC motorhome for sale about a month ago in Homer, Illinois. It is owned by a Mr. Vetter

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just wanted to say i just read an article published in july 30 2000 by paula bock "everyone has a story to tell" i thought it was great it to me we need more stories like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the proud owner of TZE033V100250, a 1973 23' Transmode. They'll get my motorhome when they pry my dead, cold body from it... This is an investment that will never lose value, unless I have the misfortune to be involved in an accident. With the custom spacers bringing the front wheels in line with the rear, it has 25% greater lateral stability and drives like a van on steroids. The airbag rear suspension makes the ride more like flying than driving. I shall cherish her until I pass from this world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lookin at those colors they came in, I'd say it'd be easy to see it's not new by any means.

    ReplyDelete