Sunday, April 15, 2007

A tulip with a message


About 60 miles north of Seattle is the Skagit Valley, home to the largest tulip growing area in the USA. For about two weeks every spring before the tulips are harvested, the public is invited to walk through the stunning landscape of reds, pinks, purples, whites and yellows -- the colors of the magnificent flowers. When I saw this red tulip all by itself in a field of yellow ones, two words popped into my head: "Be different!" Of the countless tulips I was seeing, only one stood apart. And isn't that the way it is with people, too? I want to be the red tulip.

8 comments:

  1. Your comment reminded me of Robert Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken," in which he says, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tulip field photos from Skagit County. My wife and I have traveled north almost every spring season for seven years to see and take photos of the blooms. Hal from Tacoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photo! We went this year two weeks in a row. My favorite thing was getting photos of the different one. We found several and I thought of them the same as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this photo. It tells me "don't be afraid to be different". Last year my sister went on a Tulip Tour of Holland. She's gonna love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I particularly like the pink roses on the cover note. That is really a great photo, showing the light coming thru the roses, and the angle was perfect. Thanks for sharing. Guess I will need to add that trip on my list of places to see when I retire and hit the road.
    Kathleen from CA

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are in Michigan in May the Holland Tulip Festival is a great place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, gerry bruder, your right, and what a coincidence, I just had to memorize Robert's Frost's poem, "The Road Not Taken" for a daily grade at my school and after reciting it in front of the class, I got a 105% ^_^.

    Anyway yeah, who wants to always be the same, there is nothing wrong with being different, we should embrace our differences and realize their beauties instead of downplaying them, and besides I think the red tulip is prettier than the rest of them anyway.

    ---BY: an anonymous animelover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderfull picture..

    i love it...

    ReplyDelete