Thursday, October 12, 2006

Postcard from the past


I don't think people send as many postcards these days when they travel. Take me for example: I carry a laptop computer and digital camera. Every couple of nights I upload my photos to my computer. And I usually end up sending some to my friends and family. But I miss sending postcards like the one above. This one was sent July 27, 1959 from Adrian, Illinois to a Mr. W.S. Christian in Pasadena, Calif. I guess Mr. Christian was sick because Lorna, who sent the postcard wrote, "We should have brought you to the country. You would be getting well in a hurry. Wonderful food and lots of fresh air." Back in 1959, Pasadena was pretty much a smog pit, so I think Lorna is right about how Mr. Christian would have been getting better with some good air. Even though Mr. Christian couldn't come on the trip, apparently Lorna's children did. "These kids are sure having a good time," she wrote. "They dug for potatoes and Deb said someone hid them in the dirt. They really have a time feeding poultry."

No comments:

Post a Comment