Sunday, January 30, 2011

The smell of my father in a Ziploc bag

I was cleaning out some boxes the other day and I came across my father's hairbrush. My father died three years ago. When packing up his stuff back then, I placed the brush in an air-tight Ziploc bag and stored it with other items.

The brush has many short bristles, and it picked up a lot of hair. Every so often a brush like that needs to be cleaned. My father's had not been cleaned in a long time, and contained hundreds of his hairs.

What a surprise I got when I opened that Ziploc bag! It was like my father had walked right into the room: I could smell him! I put my nose even closer to the bag and the smell was stronger. If I closed my eyes, my father was there! It was unnerving. It made me sad, because all of a sudden the memory of him was overpowering, and I felt briefly the same emptyness I felt in the days and weeks after he died.

AFTER THINKING ABOUT THIS
for a few days I realized that smell is the one sense we can't actually imagine at will. I mean, if I close my eyes I can almost see my father's face. If I concentrate I can hear his voice. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot remember what he smelled like.

My mother, who also died recently, wore the same perfume every day. When I came into a room, if she were there I would sometimes know it before I saw her. But if I try to remember the smell of that perfume, I cannot. Yet, if someone were to walk into my room today wearing it, I would immediately recall my mother.

I don't believe that anyone can just imagine a smell of the past at will. I believe you must actually smell it. I don't even recall a dream that involved smell.

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. Memories of past times and people you love are good for us. Thanks
    for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. My dog is blind and when I come up to him and put my hand by his nose, he wags his tail, recognizing me. He does the same when I give him dog treats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I have to tell you I can, indeed, imagine the smell of my parents, my wife, my dad's old pickup truck and many other people and places. Maybe this ability is just stronger in some people than in others. On the other hand, I have trouble conjuring up even very familiar faces and when I do it is always a picture from a photograph. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strongly remember my mothers scent and a beloved Aunts scent.
    But I can not remember my brother nor my son's scent.
    All these people died young and I am 65 now so yes, I have items I keep tucked away for those times when I really need a hug and a happy memory.

    Keep your father's hair brush and get a bottle of your mom's perfume. One day you may need a hug and/or a happy memory.

    Memories of faces fade, memory of smell never fades.

    sugarraisin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only smell, but taste can bring back intense memories. Whenever I taste a fresh strawberry, I cannot help but remember visiting my grandfather's strawberry patch in his yard as a small, small child. That was about 60 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky you are to have that tangible item to help you touch your father. Treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to thank you for this post Chuck. My father passed away a few months ago and my sister-in-law gave me a scarf that he used to wear. It smells of the after-shave that he used. After reading your post I placed it in a Ziploc bag to preserve the smell as long as possible.

    I'm not sure if I ever would have remembered that smell without the scarf, but it was very evocative. Wonderful. Thanks Chuck.

    ReplyDelete