Friday, August 6, 2010

Then and now, my girl and me

Eighteen years ago, on a road trip for my newspaper Out West, I paused for lunch along Highway 395 in Topaz, Nevada with my wife and baby daughter, Emily. Last week I stopped again, but just Emily and me.

Here are two photos -- one from then, the other from last week with my same Emily, but grown up now and nearly 19 years old. Where did the time go?

I was surprised to find the same picnic tables and in the same place as before -- faded, but almost exactly as they were those approximately 6,600 days ago.

Emily wondered why we stopped and why I insisted she sit at the one picnic table in particular, in one particular place. Then I pulled out the old photo. I know it became a special moment for her, but I believe it was far more special for me, knowing that in less than a month I would be dropping her off at college 3,000 miles away from my home in Washington state.

I love my big girl, but I sure do miss that little one a whole bunch.

6 comments:

  1. Yes Chuck, we hold their hands for a short while but their hearts forever. The grandchildren will be here one day and you get to do the best parts all over again. Stay Healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've followed your travels since way before Emily was a glint in your eye. So these pics were quite touching . . . Also made me feel very old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ! One of the best pictures I have ever seen , God bless both of you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuck - Emily is as cute as ever! Wait until your 18 year old Granddaughter says "Grandpa, I love you" as she gives you a hug. Then you will appreciate the gray hair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that feeling, of missing the little ones. And we never get them back again. Brings home the old saying of "They grow up too fast."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe Emily is going to be a freshman in college! I remember her early travels with you like it was yesterday. I have those same mixed feelings -- my daughter heads off for her fourth year of college this weekend. They travel their own roads all too soon!

    ReplyDelete