Friday, February 19, 2010

An RV campsite too good to be true

I'd really liked to be camped here. This photo appears in an ad promoting RVing by the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association. I believe that in my life I have camped in at least 2,000 campgrounds. Most were non-descript RV parks. Some were in National Parks and National Forests, and pretty. Others were in the middle of nowhere -- sort of like in this photo, but not nearly as super spectacular.

I don't think I have ever found a campsite as gorgeous as the one in this ad. For one thing, I don't see a road anywhere. So how the heck did the RV get in? And, as an ex-fire fighter (long ago) I can tell you that the ranger might not be happy about the blazing campfire surrounded by high and probably dry grass.

I wish there were a lot of beautiful, remote places like this to camp that didn't require having your RV dropped in by a helicopter. But I suppose showing a scene like is better for selling RVs than showing a cramped RV park, which is an all-too-common sight.

2 comments:

  1. I have found many sites many times more attractive than the one in that RVing advertisement. And it is one of the reasons I am addicted to the RV lifestyle. Sure, we've all landed in campgrounds that are little more than parking lots -- though they still offer more amenities than we ever got back home [pools, recreation centers, daily trash pickup, lawn maintenance by others]. But there are numerous times I've sat in an RV spot -- wooded, private, lush and beautiful -- that was spectacular. A house there would sell in the millions, if it were even allowed. And I've gone from locations like that to a beachside spot equally perfect. Could I ever afford that renting in hotels, or purchasing/renting real estate: not a chance. But in an RV, it was so commonplace I told friends I was suffering "spectacular beauty overload." America, Canada, and even Mexico have much to offer us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer 2010 is target for retirement on the road. Would love to be able to land in one of the 'dream' places....

    ReplyDelete