Saturday, August 19, 2006

Variety Stores


Maybe your grandmother shopped here. Maybe you did if you grew up in rural America. You don't find many variety stores anymore. And when you do, boards are likely nailed against the windows.

Wal-Mart is the new Variety Store. I suppose Mom and Pop stores like this could compete better in an age where there wasn't as much "variety" -- when there were three brands of toothpaste instead of six dozen like today.

Woolworth was a good variety store. It had its day. After awhile there got to be too much variety for even a big store like that.

Henry Ford doomed the Variety Store when he built his first Motel T car. Suddenly, people could drive a few miles to shop, spreading business around. When the roads got better, they could drive even farther. And if they didn't want to drive at all, Mr. Sears had his catalog. Main Street became less relevant. Then Sam Walton reasoned that people would drive 50 miles to save $10 on a toaster. And so he began building Wal-Marts, quickly outpacing competitor Kmart that, alas, had the corporate IQ of a chimp.

If you ever find a variety store like the one in this photo, and it is still operating, would you please stop in and ask the owner how things are going? Is business good? Or is it on its last legs? Please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I remember about 20 some odd years ago, when I first move to Concord, Ca., there was the old hardware store about a mile from my home. When you walked in the wood plank flooring would creek. The smell was indescribable, but, it was good. Inside, they featured some of the coolest brass stuff that you've every seen. I would make a point of buying something, even if I didn't need it. To me, it was like an icon of the times. About 3 years later, I saw a sign that said they were going out of business. I talked to the owner and he said that he got an offer that he couldn't refuse. It was a land management company. I inquired where he'd move to. He said that he was just going to retire as managing the hardware store was just getting too much for him. I was definately saddened.

    It closed and the wrecking ball took it's toll. The land lay vacent for a year or so and then Bank Of America built a full city block square, 5 story office building. Even today, I drive by and remember the good times that I had in that old store.

    Sometimes, I think progress isn't all it's cracked up to be.....

    ReplyDelete